Exhibition to open in 2019
The Smithsonian is coming to Dorchester County!
Cambridge Main Street has begun planning with partner organizations and stakeholders for Water/Ways, the traveling Smithsonian Institution exhibit, which will come to the Dorchester Center for the Arts in Cambridge from October 19, 2019 – November 30, 2019.
From above, Earth appears as a water planet with more than 71 percent of its surface covered with this vital resource for life. Water impacts climate, agriculture, transportation, industry and more. It inspires art and music. The Water/Ways traveling exhibition from the Smithsonian’s Museum on Main Street program examines water as an environmental necessity and an important cultural element.
Water/Ways explores water’s effect on the landscape, settlement and migration, and its impact on culture and spirituality. It looks at how political and economic planning have long been affected by access to water and control of water resources.
Local planning is underway
Dorchester County has received a Maryland Heritage Areas Authority Grant to develop a companion exhibit that focuses on the county’s unique water story. Partner organizations throughout the county also will be hosting special events, programming, exhibits and activities before, during and after the Smithsonian exhibit.
A Steering Committee has organized and is working with six subcommittees that include fundraising, communications, logistics, programming, local hosting and local exhibit planning.
Visit the following websites to read more about the exhibit:
Join one of our committees! Fill out our volunteer sign-up form here.
Do you want to learn more about the exhibit and related programming? Contact one of the Steering Committee members:
- Steering Committee Chair: Cheryl Hannan, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Programming: Katie Clendaniel, email@example.com
- Communications & Marketing: Julie Gilberto-Brady, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Finance & Fundraising: Amanda Fenstermaker, email@example.com
- Logistics: Bill Christopher, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Local Host: Ruth Clendaniel, email@example.com
- Stephyn Butcher, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tina Johnson, email@example.com