Start planning now for a great 2018 — here are 18 Dorchester events to watch out for! Check out our online calendar for more events.
1. Muskrat Weekend! Feb. 23-25
Two unique events in one weekend, both celebrating the muskrat!
National Outdoor Show, Feb. 23-24: A slice of traditional Dorchester culture with muskrat skinning, duck calling, and more.
Crawfish Boil & Muskrat Stew Fest, Feb. 25: Outdoor festival (yes, in February!) with muskrat dishes and fresh crawfish. Plus the first-ever Muskrat Leg Eating Contest!
2. 1st Anniversary of the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Visitor Center, March 10-11
Lectures, children’s activities, more.
3. Eagle Festival, March 17
A rare opportunity to get up close with birds of prey. At Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge.
4. Chicone Village Day at Handsell, April 28
Learn about Native American culture.
5. Cambridge Beer Festival, May 12
Sample regional brews while listening to live music.
6. Cambridge Classic Powerboat Regatta, May 19-20
Watch boats reach speeds up to 170mph on the Choptank River.
7. Chamber Challenge Boat Docking, June 16
NEW! The Dorchester Chamber of Commerce and Chesapeake Cowboys team up to bring boat docking fun to Long Wharf in Cambridge.
8. Taste of Cambridge Crab Cook-Off and Festival, July 14
Taste and vote on crab dishes made by local restaurants, plus fun for kids, crab-picking competition, and music.
9. Seafood Feast-I-Val, Aug. 11
This belly-pleasing event features all-you-can-eat steamed crabs, fried fish, crab soup, fried clams, BBQ chicken, sides. Plus car show, live music.
10. Wild Goose Chase, Sept. 8-9
Back for 2018! After a brief hiatus, this woman’s cycling event is back. Low-key, supportive, fun event.
11. GrooveFEST: Blues, Brews & BBQ, Sept. 15
Live music, food, and fun on the streets of downtown Cambridge.
12. Native American Festival, Sept. 15-16
Traditional dancing, drumming, crafts, food. In Vienna.
13. Choptank Heritage Skipjack Race, Sept. 22
Watch icons of the Chesapeake Bay take to the water. The race offers amazing close-up views of these traditional oystering boats.
14. Dorchester Center for the Arts Showcase, Sept. 23
Festival featuring regional artists and artisans offering their work for sale on Cambridge’s historic High Street. Plus food and music and fun for kids.
15. IRONMAN Maryland, Sept. 29
One of the world’s most grueling endurance events — 140.6 miles of swimming, biking, and running.
16. Crabtoberfest, Oct. 6
A mash-up of a traditional German Oktoberfest and Eastern Shore food.
17. Sailwinds Park East Kite Festival, Oct. 28
Fun for all ages with kite flying, kids’ activities, face painting, food, and more. On the Choptank River.
18. Cambridge-Dorchester Christmas Parade & Lighting of the Crab Basket Tree, Dec. 1
Lighting of the Crab Basket Christmas Tree kicks off this annual nighttime Christmas parade.