Dorchester is one of the oldest counties in Maryland and its early history was intimately tied to religion. Start in Historic Cambridge on High Street at Christ Episcopal Church built in 1883. An example of Gothic architecture, constructed of green serpentine stone, the 32 stained glass windows are the highlight of this structure. Inside the needlepoint kneelers portraying Eastern Shore themes set this church apart. Outside, four governors of Maryland are buried in the historic cemetery. Stroll down brick paved High Street lined with 18th and 19th Century homes to feel the history of this seaport town. Head out on scenic Route 16 to Old Trinity Church, the Oldest Episcopal Church in continuous use in the U.S. Built in 1675 and most recently restored in the 1950’s.
It was built along the banks of Church Creek which served as the highway for the original parishioners. The towering natural wood pulpit surrounded by unpainted box pews highlights the interior. In the graveyard a governor and an advisor to Abraham Lincoln are buried. Head to, Madison Canning House, Woolford Country Store or Taylor’s Island General Store (for smaller groups) for lunch and see Grace Church built in the 1870’s, the Chapel of Ease built in the early 1700’s and Bethlehem M.E. Church, the oldest Methodist Church in the county. Or head to Hoopers Island and visit St. Mary’s Star of the Sea Catholic Church built in 1872.
Then dine overlooking the Chesapeake Bay at Old Salty’s. After lunch stop in Woolford at the Old School Baptist Church built in 1790. Travel on to East New Market, which was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 1, 1975. At each of the four entrances to town stands a church of different denomination representing the diverse religious backgrounds of the inhabitants: Trinity Methodist, Stephen’s Episcopal, Salem German Evangelical, and Reformed.