The Heart of Chesapeake Country Heritage Area (HCCHA) is seeking nominations for two at-large seats on the Heritage Area’s Management Board. Both terms are for three years and will begin in January 2020.
The 13-member Heritage Board’s mission is to protect and preserve Dorchester County’s history, natural resources and culture and to promote economic development through heritage tourism. The Heritage Board also administers grant programs to help local organizations and municipalities engage in projects related to heritage preservation, interpretation and promotion.
In this past year, Heritage Board members:
- Reviewed and prioritized nine program and project grant applications, which resulted in more than $325,000 in matching grants from the Maryland Heritage Areas Authority;
- Awarded 12 mini-grants totaling $25,000 to Dorchester County non-profits and government agencies to help fund projects that enrich heritage resources and/or events in the Heart of Chesapeake Country Heritage Area;
- Coordinated Dorchester County’s 350th Anniversary Celebration and related activities, including the opening of a 50-year-old time capsule;
- Helped with developing a local exhibit focusing on Dorchester County’s water story to complement the Smithsonian Water/Ways exhibit;
- Presented the annual prestigious Heritage Area Awards, honoring four organizations and individuals for their roles in helping to preserve and promote Dorchester County’s local culture;
- And supported Heritage Area staff projects, including the implementation of a monthly Heritage Partner Spotlight; a public presentation of archaeological findings from the excavation at the historic Bayly house; the loan of a unique selection of Dorchester County artifacts from the Maryland Archaeological Conservation Laboratory; and the development of a cell phone audio guide app, which features a suite of tour showcasing the unique history and heritage of Dorchester County.
Responsibilities & Application
Responsibilities of board members include regular attendance at nine meetings per year, service on committees as needed and support for heritage tourism programs. Read more about Board member responsibilities here. If you or someone you know is interested in joining a dedicated group whose purpose and passion is preserving Dorchester County’s heritage, please consider this opportunity.
Nominations should be submitted by letter or email no later than November 27, 2019, to Julie Gilberto-Brady, Manager, Heart of Chesapeake Country Heritage Area, email@example.com, 2 Rose Hill Place, Cambridge, MD 21613. Self-nominations are welcome. Nomination letters should include information about the nominee’s interests, experience, and potential contributions as a board member. Please also include a resume.
For more information, contact Gilberto-Brady at 410-228-1000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The Heart of Chesapeake Country Heritage Area is supported by the Maryland Heritage Area Authority. Information about the Heritage Area program and Board member responsibilities is available on the Heritage Area website.