Heritage awards nominations underway
The Heart of Chesapeake Country Heritage Area (HCCHA) is accepting nominations for the 2019 Heritage Awards to recognize and celebrate those individuals and organizations within the community who have helped to preserve and promote Dorchester County’s unique cultural, historical and natural resources.
The annual awards focus on four distinct categories:
- Individual Achievement, which recognizes a person for his/her contributions to the heritage community by interpreting, preserving, promoting, researching and/or supporting local history and cultural traditions.
- Business Partner, which recognizes a for-profit partner that demonstrates sustained commitment to heritage preservation and/or promotion, including historic preservation, cultural or natural resource stewardship, advocacy, or heritage tourism opportunities in the Heart of Chesapeake Country.
- Outstanding Project, which recognizes an exceptional project, event or activity conducted/sponsored by an organization, business, individual or local government that highlights Dorchester’s natural or cultural heritage and/or increases public awareness of its history, heritage and cultural traditions.
- Organizational Excellence, which recognizes an organization or local government entity that demonstrates sustained achievement in contributing to heritage preservation, promotion, interpretation or tourism efforts.
Sept. 16 Deadline
Nominations are due no later than 5 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 16. Any individual or organization may submit an award nomination – and self-nominations also are encouraged. For more information about the criteria for each category, download the online guidelines from: visitdorchester.org/heritage-award-nomination-form
There are three very simple ways to nominate someone:
- Complete an online nomination form; upload any supporting documents and click “submit.”
- Download and complete a paper nomination form, and email the completed form to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the paper nomination form, print and mail to the attention of
Heart of Chesapeake Country Heritage Area
2 Rose Hill Place
Cambridge, MD 21613
Presentation in October
The Heritage Area Board of Directors will be reviewing all nominations and selecting the winners in each category. The formal announcement of the award winners will take place at the Annual Heritage Awards Event scheduled for Thursday, October 24, 2019
These awards of distinction are made possible through the Heart of Chesapeake Country Heritage Area with the support of the Maryland Heritage Areas Authority.