The Heart of Chesapeake Country Heritage Area (HCCHA) is accepting nominations for the 2023 Heritage Awards to recognize and celebrate those individuals and organizations within the community who have helped to preserve and promote Dorchester County’s unique cultural, historical and natural resources.
The annual awards focus on five distinct categories:
- Individual Achievement, which recognizes a person for contributions to the heritage community by interpreting, preserving, promoting, researching and/or supporting local history and cultural traditions.
- Business Partner, which recognizes a for-profit partner that demonstrates sustained commitment to heritage preservation and/or promotion, including historic preservation, cultural or natural resource stewardship, advocacy, or heritage tourism opportunities in the Heart of Chesapeake Country.
- Outstanding Project, which recognizes an exceptional project, event or activity conducted/sponsored by an organization, business, individual or local government that highlights Dorchester’s natural or cultural heritage and/or increases public awareness of its history, heritage and cultural traditions.
- Organizational Excellence, which recognizes an organization or local government entity that demonstrates sustained achievement in contributing to heritage preservation, promotion, interpretation or tourism efforts.
- Caroline Cline Volunteer of the Year, which is named in honor former East New Market Mayor Caroline Cline. The award honors an individual for service and contributions as a volunteer supporting local history or heritage tourism.
Sept. 14 Deadline
Nominations are due no later than 5 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 14. Any individual or organization may submit an award nomination – and self-nominations also are encouraged. For more information about the criteria for each category, download the guidelines: 2023-Heritage-Award-Nomination-Guidelines.
To submit a nomination, please complete the online form and upload any supporting documents. If you have any questions, please contact Julie Gilberto-Brady, firstname.lastname@example.org.
These awards of distinction are made possible through the Heart of Chesapeake Country Heritage Area with the support of the Maryland Heritage Areas Authority.