This week is chock full of area events to celebrate Harriet Tubman Day. The Underground Railroad hero was born here in Dorchester County and lived here for more than 25 years. Most of these events ask that you RSVP. A quick rundown:
- TUBMAN DAY SYMPOSIUM. Historians and scholars discuss the journey toward equality and the true meaning of freedom. March 10. Details: http://bit.ly/1VY5FC0
- THE TRUTH ABOUT HARRIET TUBMAN. Talk by Tubman biographer Kate Clifford Larson. Cambridge, MD. March 11. Details: http://bit.ly/1VY5J4F
- TOURS OF FAITH COMMUNITY CHURCH. Visit the congregation that has ties to the Underground Railroad. East New Market, MD. March 11. Details: http://bit.ly/1Ru0hml
- WEBB CABIN RIBBON CUTTING: Celebration the restoration of this 1852 hand-hewn log home built by a free African American farmer. March 11. Preston, MD. Details: http://bit.ly/1L85NyC
- HARRIET TUBMAN BANQUET. Honor Harriet Tubman’s legacy at this annual event. March 12. Cambridge, MD. Details: http://bit.ly/1U1e7l0
- There are also events happening in Delaware, including tours, music, and a film. See the whole list of Finding Your Freedom events on Delmarva here: http://1.usa.gov/1nn9JzT
It’s also a great time to explore our Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway, a self-guided driving tour of more than 30 sites of Underground Railroad significance. Pick up a Map & Guide at the Dorchester Visitor Center, 2 Rose Hill Place, Cambridge, MD, or order one, or browse the PDF (click on “View or download the PDFs in the upper right tab”).