Join us rain or shine for the Horn Point Laboratory Open House from 11am-4pm on Saturday, Oct. 12. Have fun learning about the cutting edge research the faculty and graduate students conduct in the Chesapeake Bay and across the world’s oceans. Here is a sampling of the activities that people will be able to participate in during the Open House:
- Fly a drone over a digital map of the Chesapeake Bay.
- Play in a digital sand box to create shorelines and model weather’s impact around the Bay with laser imaging.
- See an animation of the travels of oyster larvae as they move from the reef where they spawned to their new, permanent home reef.
- Match up a DNA sequence to microscopic creatures important to the food chain.
- Observe and learn about sturgeon whose ancestors date to the Jurassic period
- Build a healthy marsh and learn who are our best partners in this effort.
- Meet and talk to graduate students about their environmental career goals.
- At the children’s activity booth, create eco-friendly animals that live in our waters. Play games that teach fun facts about the Bay. Go on a scavenger hunt through the exhibits to learn how the Bay’s lasting health starts with each of us making a cleaner environment today.
Address: 2020 Horns Point Rd., Cambridge, MD