The fleet ranges from the classic Jersey speed skiffs turning on their sides and going airborne at 70mph to the 1,500-horsepower grand prix boats that reach speeds of 170 mph. Admission is FREE with a $5 a day charge for in/out parking. Food and drink will be available. (Sorry, no outside coolers allowed). Races are scheduled to run rain or shine, although if the wind is strong, the race organizers will make the call.
- WHEN: The races happen from 10:30am to 5pm on May 18 and 19.
- WHERE: The races happen on Hambrooks Bay, off the Choptank River in Cambridge, Maryland. Watch the action from Great Marsh Park, 1 Somerset Ave. There will be bleacher seating, as well as room for lawn chairs. Spectators can also watch the Cambridge Classic from the water. The fleet will raft at Rooster Point. A no-wake zone will be established from Howell Point to the Choptank River Bridge.
- THE PIT: There will be opportunity to visit the cold pit area to see some of the boats up close and meet the race teams.
- SPECTATOR’S GUIDE: Check out the helpful Spectator’s Guide to the Cambridge Classic from 2017 put out by PropTalk magazine.
- SAVE THE DATE for THUNDER ON THE CHOPTANK: Mark your calendar for another great powerboat race on July 27-28, 2019.
Photo by Skip Vanderslice.