Winter and spring guided birding tours at Blackwater highlight migratory species and the returning spring nesters. You will not want to miss the opportunity to observe and identify the diverse array of feathered friends, from warblers and wading birds to numerous species of waterfowl and raptors, including the bald eagle. Birding tours are led by veteran birders Harry Armistead and Terry Allen. With the exception of March 14, 2020, participants will meet at the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center at 8am for each bird walk, which usually lasts 2 to 3 hours. The birding party usually carpools, stopping at various points around the refuge’s Wildlife Drive. The schedule for winter and spring 2020 is as follows:
- February 9, Sunday Terry Allen
- February 23, Sunday Harry Armistead
- March 14, Saturday Terry Allen (meet at Environmental Education building, near the entrance to Wildlife Drive)
- March 29, Sunday Harry Armistead
- April 11, Saturday Terry Allen
- April 26, Sunday Harry Armistead
- May 9, Saturday Terry Allen
- October 25, Sunday Harry Armistead
- November 22, Sunday Harry Armistead
- December 6, Sunday Harry Armistead
Binoculars and field guides are highly recommended for an enjoyable experience. There is no fee or advanced registration for these activities. For further information, please call the Blackwater Visitor Center at 410-228-2677.
The Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center is located at 2145 Key Wallace Drive in Cambridge, Maryland.