East New Market, originally settled in 1660, on the North-South Choptank Indian trail, is home to 75 structures that represent a variety of 18th, 19th and 20th century architecture. At each of the four entrances to the town stands a church.
The original town boundaries defined the East New Market Historical District. It was the first town to receive a designation by the State of Maryland as a Historic District in Dorchester County, and is registered as a National Historic District. In 1975 the entire town was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Follow a self-guided walking tour to see the district that contains almost all the residences of the original founders and offers excellent examples of colonial architecture.
A guided brochure is available at the Visitor Center.