The Episcopal Church in Cambridge has served the community since 1692. The geographical boundaries of Great Choptank Parish were established eight years after the founding of Cambridge. Christ Church, located on historic High Street, not only has played a significant role throughout the history of Cambridge, but it stands today as one of the outstanding examples of Gothic architecture on the Eastern Shore and the State of Maryland.
The present building, dedicated in 1884, is the third to be located on this site. The history of Christ Church closely parallels the history of Cambridge and Maryland. Its historical significance is further established by contributions of active citizens who were communicants, including five Maryland governors. The cemetery behind the church dates back more than 300 years. Four Maryland governors are buried here (and there’s a monument to a fifth).
The interior of Christ Church provides an atmosphere of peace and contemplation, with its sculptured columns, ark like dark wood beams, and thirty-two imported stained glass windows. The needlepoint kneelers artistically portray Eastern Shore themes. The highly detailed huge round rose window thematically portrays the beatitudes from Christ’s Sermon on the Mount. Many of the stained glass windows were designed by craftsmen in London, carefully packed and shipped with a chart of assembly to Cambridge.
get in touch
601 Church St.
Cambridge, MD 21613