This 19th century one-room African American schoolhouse was moved to this location in 1867. It is one of the oldest Maryland schools to be organized and maintained by a black community. It ceased operations as a school in July 1966. The school was named in honor of the Reverend Ezekiel Stanley. Between 1867 and 1962, the youth in the African-American community of Christ Rock attended this school, also known as Rock School, which is now listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The school serves a reminder of what schools were like back in the years between the Civil War and the beginning of the Civil Rights Movement.
Open by appointment. Groups welcome.
get in touch
Intersection of Route 16 West & Bayly Road
Cambridge, MD 21613