The country’s longest-running powerboat races happen right here in Dorchester! This year marks the 107th Cambridge Classic Power Boat Regatta May 13-14 on the Choptank River. It’s going to be a big event — up to 90 boats are expected, and some of them reach speeds up to 170mph!
For the first time, this world-class event will bring boats from the Canada-based Hydroplane Racing League, in addition to boats from the American Power Boat Association. Boats will be racing in six classes:
- Grand Prix Hydroplanes
- H350 Hydroplanes
- Formula 2500 Hydroplanes
- 2.5 Liter Hydroplanes
- 1 Liter Hydroplanes
- Jersey Speed Skiffs
Read more in this story from the Dorchester Banner:
The fleet ranges from the classic Jersey speed skiffs turning on their sides and going airborne at 70mph to the 1,500-horsepower grand prix boats that reach speeds of 170 mph. Admission is FREE with a $5 a day charge for in/out parking. Food and drink will be available. (Sorry, no outside coolers allowed). BONUS: During the races, local microwbrewery RAR Brewing will be releasing a beer specially brewed for the event — the Cambridge Classic Rooster Tail Ale.
- WHEN: The races happen from 10:30am to 5pm on May 13 and 14, 2017.
- WHERE: The races happen on Hambrooks Bay, off the Choptank River in Cambridge, Maryland. Watch the action from Great Marsh Park, 1 Somerset Ave. There will be bleacher seating, as well as room for lawn chairs. Spectators can also watch the Cambridge Classic from the water. The fleet will raft at Rooster Point. A no-wake zone will be established from Howell Point to the Choptank River Bridge. BONUS for BOATERS: Both the Cambridge Municipal Yacht Basin and the Cambridge Yacht Club are offering free transient slip rental on race weekend — and on every weekend in the month of May. Contact the Municipal Yacht Basin at 410-228-4031 and the Cambridge Yacht Club at 410-228-2141.
- THE PIT: There will be opportunity to visit the cold pit area to see some of the boats up close and meet the race teams.
- SPECTATOR’S GUIDE: Check out the helpful Spectator’s Guide to the Cambridge Classic put out by PropTalk magazine.
- SAVE THE DATE for THUNDER ON THE CHOPTANK: Mark your calendar for another great powerboat race on August 19 and 20, 2017, when the Kent Narrow Racing Association brings their race to Cambridge, Maryland! That’s right, Thunder on the Narrows is moving to Cambridge in 2017 and it will be known as Thunder on the Choptank. Check back for details.
Photo by Skip Vanderslice.